American Legion Youth Baseball 6U (D League) Division
The 6U Division is the first introduction to a team sport for most kids at this age. Coaches must strive to cultivate a genuine interest in the sport, while at the same time introducing them to the basic rules and awareness of the game. As a primary objective, the kids need to have the feeling of fun and enjoyment and a willingness to learn and participate. The greatest emphasis should be placed on having fun while learning some basic baseball sense, with “winning” as a non-priority as no scores are kept at this level.
Games in this division utilize a pitching machine as well as a hitting tee. For safety purposes, the baseballs used in games and practices are soft.
6U (D League) Division Objectives
Encourage all players and parents to cheer on both teams. Try to keep the game moving whenever possible so the kids don’t get bored. Managers and coaches are encouraged to instruct players while walking around the field during the game rather than from the bench.
The list below contains the general points of emphasis for the 6U Division. Please see the 6U Division Coach Resources for specific goals.
• Learn and understand the importance of teamwork and sportsmanship.
• Respect for managers, coaches and players.
• A need to pay attention throughout the entire game.
• Why they need to practice to improve.
• Basic warm-up drills and their importance.
• General baseball field layout and positions.
• Where to stand; how to stand; how to hold a bat; basic swinging and hitting mechanics.
• Proper throwing mechanics
• Base running
• Necessary safety regulations
• Proper dress and equipment; controlling their tempers.