American Legion Youth Baseball 12U (A League) Division
Once a player reaches this level most of the basic skills have most likely already been taught and you can work on the finer points of baseball. Kids will continue to develop an understanding of competing as a team and winning and losing as a team. Individualism and “star” status should be discouraged. Although there still may be many newcomers to the sport of baseball at this level, it may be assumed that many of the kids have the basic awareness of what the game is about. Some basic skills may have already been taught and you can begin to develop the more fundamental ones.
12U (A League) Division Objectives
The list below contains the general points of emphasis for the 12U Division. Please see the 12U Division Coach Resources for specific goals.
• Learn and understand the importance of teamwork and sportsmanship.
• Respect for coaches, players and umpires.
• Warm-up drills and their importance.
• Defensive baseball
• Improved bunting techniques.
• Improved throwing and fielding.
• Development of pitchers and the appropriate skills. Full wind up and from the stretch.
• Develop real position play.
• Development of catchers and the appropriate skills.
• Improved batting and hitting mechanics.
• Keys to base stealing.
• The importance of watching for and listening to the base coaches. Coach’s signs.
• Advanced sliding techniques, demonstrations and drills.